Time:10am - 4pm
Skill Level:Intermediate to advanced
Equipment:All equipment, icing and flower paste is provided.
Cake:Please bring an 8" square cake from our recipe.
Class size:This class has a maximum of 4 students.
To book your place, choose a date below:Friday 9th August
What you will learn in this class:
- Hints and tips on baking your cake to perfection.
- The basics of design when creating a shaped cake - Choosing the right shaped cakes to bake for carved creations.
- Making the first cuts to create the right shape, and where to place the pieces.
- Layering and shaping your cake
- Perfecting a beautiful carved shape.
- Making crumb base, how much buttercream to add.
- Using crumb base to create features.
- Covering your cake with sugarpaste, for a flawless finish, ensuring you retain the shape of the dinosaur underneath.
- How to bring out expressive facial features to bring your dinosaur to life!
- How to work with different tools to create the eyes, nose and mouth.
- Scales or spots? We show you how to create both effects.
- Working with modelling paste, and how it differs from flower paste.
- Using different colour combinations
- Using modelling paste to create his spines, horns and claws.
- Finishing your cake board - techniques for how to cover a board 'after' the cake has been placed.
- Lots of useful tips on how to create extra details like rocks, puddles, and sand.
- Hints and tips on boxing your cakes and storing them correctly
Why you should come to this class.
This class is aimed at students who have perhaps done a little cake carving, but want to improve your skills. You will begin by learning different ways to cut your cake to form different shapes for this dinosaur, where to position the cut off pieces for his head and tail, and how you can create different body shapes. You will work with crumb base to form additional shapes that form his legs, tail and facial features, and also how to cover an awkward shape cake and complete your design.
What will you take home from this class?
At the end of the class you will have carved your own cute little dinosaur cake, you will also get a box to transport him home in plus a 30 page, very detailed booklet (emailed to you) with step by step notes.
The skills you will take home, will give you confidence in carving future cakes, enabling you to be more creative with your cake designs.
What will you need to bring to this class?
You will need to bring 1 cake with you (8" square), we provide a recipe that you can use.
We ask you to bake the cakes as Lou spends a portion of the first morning talking to each of you about your cake, and how you can improve your baking, and also how to fix any mistakes. If we provided you with perfect cakes then we feel we would have a missed teaching opportunity!
We will supply the buttercream, sugarpaste, flowerpaste and modelling pastes, plus all the equipment and boards and boxes to take your cake home in!
Please also bring an apron and a packed lunch with you. The Cake Makery will provide tea, coffee and cold refreshments as needed!
This class is for intermediate to advanced students. If you have attended our Handbag carving class, this is a great follow on to increase your skills and practice!
This is a six hour class, from 10am - 4pm. It is a maximum of four students only for this class, allowing us the ability to give you more personalised teaching and attention.