Piping, Writing & Lettering
Time:10am - 4pm
Skill Level:Beginner to Advanced.
Equipment:All equipment, icing and cupcakes will be provided.
Class size:This class has a maximum of 6 students.
To book your place, choose a date below:Friday 3rd May Tuesday 2nd July Tuesday 17th September Friday 15th November
What will you learn in this class?
- Types of royal icing
- Basics of mixing royal icing
- Most common mistakes in making royal icing
- What is 'stiff peak'
- What is 'soft peak'
- Storing of royal icing
- What consistency do I need for piping?
- How to check your consistency
- Colouring your royal icing
- How to make a piping bag
- Learn about different piping nozzles
- How to fill a piping bag
- Looking after your piping bags
- How to hold and control your piping bag
- Step by step practise methods to build your confidence
- Practise dots, lines, trails and flourishes to adorn your cakes
- How to build up designs and motifs
- Tips on designing cakes using royal iced piping work
- Drafting lettering
- How to apply your lettering to your cake
- Different methods to apply a design to your cake
- Lots of hints and tips on rescuing mistakes and accidents.
- How to decorate a set of cup cakes with original designs
- Embellishing piped details with gold or silver.
Why you should come to this class.
Good piping techniques are an essential part of every cake decorators skill set, so we will start by teaching you how to make your own piping bags (which saves a lot of money!) and which nozzles to use for different jobs.
Royal icing has many uses in the cake decorating world from piping simple scrolls, to run-outs, lettering, Cornelli, lacework and more. It is important that you understand the different consistencies of this wonderful medium, so we will give you a complete run down of stiff peak, soft peak and runny icing, and when you should use the different types.
Learn how to draft your piping designs before applying them to a cake, obviously it is important to ensure that your lettering will end up exactly where you want it to be! but through practice and the techniques you will learn during this class, you will be inspired to create a myriad of designs of your own!
We will show you practice techniques for straight and curved lines, dots (and how to make them perfectly rounded!), S and C scrolls and cornelli piping.
What will you take home from this class?
After learning and practicing your new skills, each student will have 6 cupcakes to decorate and take home.
Through the use of different piping techniques, cutters and tappits, you will leave our class feeling confident that you can produce high quality writing on big cakes and sugar craft in your chosen medium.
Each student will also be given our written instructional booklet, so you can go home and practice your new skills!
What will you need to bring to this class?
We will supply the cupcakes, buttercream, sugarpaste, royal icing, plus all the equipment and boxes to take your cupcakes home in, so you don't need to bring anything!
We do however advise you bring an apron with you! The Cake Makery will provide tea, coffee and cold refreshments as needed!
We provide tea and coffee throughout the class, and teach you in a professional, fun and relaxed atmosphere.
Please bring a packed lunch with you.