Professional Wedding Cake
Time:10am - 4pm
Cost:£395 (installments available)
Equipment:All equipment and icing will be provided.
Cake:You will provide the cakes from a recipe we send you.
Class size:This class has a maximum of 4 students.
To book your place, choose a date below:Wednesday 5th to Friday 7th June FULL
Wednesday 4th to Friday 6th September 4
Wednesday 20th to Friday 22nd November 3
What will you learn in this class?
- Designing wedding cakes and the questions you need to ask your bride.
- Time management and planning, and how you work out your schedule.
- Hints and tips on baking and storing your cakes.
- Levelling and layering a cake.
- Filling your cake.
- Using different pastes.
- Making your own flower paste.
- Covering your cake to a high standard.
- Decorative techniques - garrett frills, swags, drapes, bows.
- Hints and tips on using fresh flowers on wedding cakes.
- Making your own glue.
- Making Royal icing.
- Making a piping bag.
- Using templates for piping practice.
- Piping skills and techniques.
- Creating sugar flowers.
- Using ribbons to create different effects around your cakes and board.
- Rescuing mistakes and accidents.
- Dowelling tiered cakes.
- Advice on different cake stands, pillars, separators and supports.
- Glitter guidelines
- Lots of helpful advice on working with customers.
- Working with portion sizes.
- Working with different shapes and sizes of cakes.
- Food Hygiene and Environmental health - what you need to know before you begin.
- Helpful advice on the type of insurance cover you will need.
- Pricing your wedding cakes - working it all out.
- Deposits - how much should you take and when?
- Invoicing your customers and getting full payment.
- Disclaimers and your terms and conditions.
- Tastings and viewings - what should you offer?
- Recipe for Lou's cake.
- Helpful tips on boxing cakes and transporting cakes to the venue.
- Helpful advice on what to do at the venue, who needs to sign off on the cake and the types of forms you should provide to safeguard yourself should the caterers damage your work of art!
Why you should come to this class.
Throughout history, and across many cultures, the one constant element of wedding ceremonies and celebrations has been the wedding cake. With over 230,000 marriages in England every year, there are a lot of cakes to make, and every bride wishes to have an amazing and beautiful cake, for their dream wedding. We'll teach you how to achieve stunning results (from design to completion), which you will feel proud to display with confidence.
Whether you wish to pursue a professional career in cake-making or just develop cake decorating as a hobby, this course will give you the opportunity to work closely alongside Lou, benefitting from years of experience whilst picking up her multiple tricks of the trade. We teach in a relaxed and informal manner and Lou is happy to answer any questions you can throw at her.
What will you take home from this class?
A beautiful 3 tier real cake, that has been baked, covered and decorated by you, that would be fit for any wedding!
All the cake boards and boxes are supplied free of additional charge
Each student will also be given our 80+ page PDF (emailed to you after the class) that we wrote to accompany this class, giving full instructions and lots of useful forms and printouts for your wedding cake business.
What will you need to bring to this class?
You will need to bring 3 cakes with you (6", 8" & 10"), we provide a recipe that you can use which you can download here.
We ask you to bake the cakes as Lou spends a portion of the first morning talking to each of you about your cake, and how you can improve your baking, and also how to fix any mistakes. If we provided you with perfect cakes then we feel we would have a missed teaching opportunity!
We will supply the buttercream, sugarpaste, flowerpaste and modelling pastes, plus all the equipment and boards and boxes to take your cake home in!
Please also bring an apron and a packed lunch with you. The Cake Makery will provide tea, coffee and cold refreshments as needed!
This class is for beginners and anyone looking to perfect their skills a bit further, giving you the confidence to cover and decorate big cakes at home..
This is a 6 hour class and a maximum of 4 students for this class, this allows us to give you more personalised teaching and attention.