Wired Sugar Roses
Time:10am - 4pm
Skill Level:Beginner to Intermediate
Equipment:All equipment, and flower paste will be provided.
Cake:(some experience is helpful but not required)
Class size:This class has a maximum of 6 students.
About Your Teacher
Lou grew up baking and decorating cakes for fun with the family. Her first Christmas cake was made when she was just 15.
Lou's training was originally in graphic design and illustration, and she spent 10 years working in graphics and running her own business. There were always amazing cakes for family and friends' special occasions!
(click here to find out more about Louise)
What will you learn in this class?
- Using different flowerpastes and the benefits of making your own.
- Using cutters correctly to achieve a sharp edge.
- Using veiners to create realistic markings on petals and leaves.
- Colouring flowerpaste.
- Making your own glue.
- Understanding florists wires and tapes.
- Attaching wires to leaves and petals.
- Make berries using a clever method for attaching wires.
- Learn to use your tools to manipulate flowerpaste into naturalistic floral details.
- Create beautiful semi, and full roses.
- Make natural rose buds.
- Create amazingly realistic leaves.
- Use dust colours to effectively colour your flowers, buds and foliage.
- How to use confectioners glaze effectively.
- The benefits of steaming.
- Neat and secure taping using florist tape.
- Make natural stems of rose leaves.
- Combine your berries, buds and flowers effectively, with stems of leaves into a beautiful spray.
- Using ribbons to enhance your flowers.
- Learn to rescue breakages.
- Learn many tricks of the trade from a very experienced sugar flower artist Louise Wilson.
Why you should come to this class.
This class will teach you how to create each petal, colour them, wire them together and create a beautiful spray that you can take home with you and use on a cake of your choice.
During this class you will learn how to cut rose petals with and without the use of cutters, how to work with flower paste (including colouring the paste), painting and dusting the petals to give a beautiful autumn glow.
You will also learn how to create a realistic looking set of rose leaves, and several sets of hypericum buds, with the final stage being wiring it all together to create a pretty spray that can be used on any cake.
What will you take home from this class?
You will make one large open rose, three smaller roses and two buds to go along with the hypericum and foliage. You can choose the colour of your roses, which you will take home with you at the end of the class.
We will provide you with a box to take your flowers home in
Each student will also be given our 34 page, and very detailed PDF (emailed to you after the class) that we wrote to accompany this class, giving full instructions and lots of useful photos to help remind you of what you learned in class.
What will you need to bring to this class?
We will supply the flowerpaste, plus all the equipment and box to take your flowers home in!
Please bring an apron and a packed lunch with you. The Cake Makery will provide tea, coffee and cold refreshments as needed!