Two Tier Blossom Cake
Time:10am - 4pm
Equipment:All equipment and icing will be provided.
Cake:8" bottom cake. We provide a 6" dummy for the top.
Class size:This class has a maximum of 4 students.
To book your place, choose a date below:Thursday 25th & Friday 26th July 2013
Thursday 17th & Friday 18th October 2013
What will you learn in this class?
- Designing tiered cakes and the questions you need to ask your customer.
- Time management and planning, and how you work out your schedule.
- Hints and tips on baking and storing your cakes.
- Levelling and layering a cake.
- Filling your cake.
- Covering your cake to a high standard.
- Tips on using dummy cakes to add height to your cakes.
- Covering a dummy cake with sugarpaste.
- Dowelling and stacking tiered cakes.
- Using different pastes.
- Making your own flower paste.
- Making your own glue.
- Tips on making Royal icing and the right consistency.
- Making a piping bag.
- Piping skills and techniques for piping straight lines on cakes.
- Creating sugar flowers.
- Using ribbons to create different effects around your cakes and board.
- Rescuing mistakes and accidents.
- Lots of helpful advice on working with customers.
- Working with portion sizes.
- Working with different shapes and sizes of cakes.
- Recipe for Lou's cake.
- Helpful tips on boxing cakes and transporting cakes to the customer.
Why you should come to this class.
Moving from decorating a single tiered cake to a two or more tiered cake can be a daunting experience. Our students have told us that dowelling and stacking cakes is something they fear, especially if they then have to travel with the cake to the customer!
In this class we will help dispel the myth that dowelling is difficult and stacking is scary, and we show you that cake decorating can be easy, fun and very rewarding when you see your beautifully finished cake.
Whether you wish to pursue a professional career in cake-making or just develop cake decorating as a hobby, this two day class will give you the opportunity to work closely alongside Lou, benefitting from years of experience whilst picking up her multiple tricks of the trade. We teach in a relaxed and informal manner and Lou is happy to answer any questions you can throw at her.
What will you take home from this class?
A beautiful 2 tier cake, that has been baked, covered and decorated by you!
All the cake boards, boxes and dummies are supplied free of additional charge
Each student will also be given our class guide PDF (emailed to you after the class) which we wrote to accompany this class, giving full instructions from the class.
What will you need to bring to this class?
You will need to bring an 8" cake with you, preferably 3 layers, we provide a recipe that you can use which you can download here.
We ask you to bake the cake as Lou spends a portion of the first morning talking to each of you about 'your' cake, and how you can improve your baking, and also how to fix any mistakes. If we provided you with perfect cakes then we feel we would have a missed teaching opportunity!
We will supply the buttercream, sugarpaste, flowerpaste and modelling pastes, plus all the equipment and boards and boxes to take your cake home in!
Please also bring an apron and a packed lunch with you. The Cake Makery will provide tea, coffee and cold refreshments as needed!